Last Updated: Monday, February 11, 2019

Celebrity Hair Wars Star Comes to College

Celebrity hairdresser Martyn Holmes came to North Lindsey College to deliver a masterclass to students.

Martyn spoke about his long serving and varied career in the hairdressing world, which started in the 80’s in an Essex salon.  He continued his career by taking up as many opportunities as possible, landing him roles that involved working with celebrities backstage on TV shows which has included work for Downton Abbey, theatre and films.  Martyn continued with his TV work and also opened a new salon in Essex called Strangeways.  He is also now involved with the Lee Stafford Education academy, teaching with well known brand Wella.  Martyn is particularly known for his avant-garde work but also his appearance in the TV show Extreme Hair Wars. 

Martyn told the students about how he struggled through the recession which cost him his first ever salon and his livelihood.  He told them how hard he worked and gained as much knowledge as possible and said, “Understand your customers’ needs and wants and give them the best advice you can; respect them.  If you don’t look after your customers, you won’t have a business.”

Martyn continued, “The reason I’m here is because I believe education in the way forward.  It took me a long time to really understand what I was doing because no one would show me.  If I can pass on any knowledge and information, it’s a good thing for the future.  I’ve had a fantastic career and I wouldn’t want anyone to miss out.  Doing this feels like I am giving back.”

Student Karla Fawcett (28) Level 2 Hairdressing student said, “I enjoyed it and for someone to take time out to do this is just great.  Watching a professional do this makes you take more notice because of his position.  I watched him on Extreme Hair Wars and found it really inspirational, it makes me work harder and push more to achieve!”

TOP